Thursday, January 14, 2010

Dinner is AWESOME!

Roasted Eggplant

The eggplant were sliced and simmered in a pan on med-high. When they are browned turn the heat down and let them simmer in the oil, add a little water so they steam and become softer.

In another pan. Cook the following.
Homemade Sofrito

Garlic, onion, sea salt, sliced plum tomatoes, green peppers, pepper, onion powder, fresh cilantro, garlic powder..... simmered in a pan for about 45 minutes. The whole time it was cooking was intense. Incredible smells.. YUMMY! You could stop now & add this, and the eggplant to some pasta & DINNER IS DONE! But, why stop now? (Please note there is a piece of eggplant in the photo, this is not part of the sofrito.)

Whip this up next. Just a dollop of this to the pasta & some of the sofrito & eggplant becomes an amazingly delicious meal!

Vegan Ricotta

Do not think about the Tofu. Just use it. I know it seems weird.. or gross. JUST trust me. It's delicious! If the spices you add aren't enough add more. Just start slowly spice wise. Add to the tofu:oil, garlic, onion, basil. You can do it with dry spices. You can do it with fresh. I like to use both. IE: I use fresh garlic & fresh onions & basil if I'm cooking it, since these spices are strong. If I'm using this raw, I use the dry spices so it's not so potent. But, your palate may vary. (If I'm using the raw onion & garlic I stir fry them first to mellow it a touch.)

Stick all the ingredients into a blender, smoothie maker or use a stick blender. Zoom it around for a few minutes.. and then use it! in this instance I used a regular hand mixer.. so it was chunky. Slap it on some warm noodles..& YUMOO!

Do try to find the tofu organic, locally made if possible. I found some organic tofu, not local.. but it said on the label NO GMO. Psyched! I used about 1/4 c on the oil, a quarter amount on the sea salt and just sprinkled in some spices.. and added a bit more.. to taste. You could add some cayenne pepper to it to give it a kick if you like it. My hubby likes to add this to anything & everything he eats.

Voila!

Roasted Eggplant & Homemade Sofrito w/ Angel Hair Pasta.


Cheers! XOXO Heather :)
Post a Comment

Blog Archive

link referral

Vegan, musings on life, kids, cars, vegan food, art, photography, crafts, etsy dot com, etc.
© COPYRIGHT NOTE: My designs, photos and description text are protected by copyright. They may not be duplicated, copied, reproduced and/or republished without permission or notice. All rights are reserved. All Rights reserved either implied or expressed by 3 a.m. Art/aktie9.