Sunday, January 31, 2010

Weekend Cooking..

Weekend Cooking Part One:

This is a Bob's Redmill breadmix that I Doctored to my own liking. I added cinnamon & some raw sugar cane sugar to the mix & some to the top for a crust. I made three of these hearts. In the two small ones, I also put some chocolate chips into the center. The larger heart was sans any chocolate. Since one of us here has a chocolate allergy. I also used coconut milk instead of soy. This made the batter so fluffy and creamy. The dough when cooked still was very moist & soft too. Delectable breakfast for us this am.


Gluten Free Cinnamon Bread

It was really good. Chocolate + cinnamon + Coconut. Never can go wrong with that combination!

Weekend Cooking Part Two:

This is a borrowed recipe from PBS. I watched the PBS program The Victory Garden, on Saturday morning with my kids. We got to the TV in time to see the end of Word Girl, and ended up letting The Victory Garden play, before the kids started doing some drawing. I'm very happy we let the show play, instead of just shutting the TV off or putting in a movie.

Corn Tortillas & Tomato- Pepper Salsa


On the program they showed how to create a portable garden & landscaping to make you look up. Horizontal gardening lots of topiaries and climbing vines. The host created a steel rebar cage inside one of the ginourmous pots. I'm hoping to recreate this on a smaller scale here with hydrangeas & some climbing ivys this summer. Besides blogging & crafting, gardening is one my favourite things to do. I missed out on a lot of this, this past summer of 2009, since it was so rainy.

Anyway, back to the recipe, it is a corn tortilla & tomato salsa. I omitted onion & garlic for the kids, and made it up quickly. They don't have the recipe listed on their site as of yet. But my kids were both hankering for it after watching the program. Since the recipe was Vegan & some raw vegan items, I was more than happy to oblige them.

I took my gluten free flour mix, you can use whatever flour you like. Corn flour, I imagine would be also good for this. I measured a cup and a half of the flour mix into a bowl. Next I added some parsley to it and some garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and sea salt. I then mixed it up. Added a couple Tablespoons of oil & a 1/4 cup of coconut milk to the mix and mixed that up. Lastly I added in some frozen corn. I made it basically like a pancake batter. They did make it a bit drier in the program & they also flattened it with a pan & the batter inside a plastic bag turned into a "tortilla press." Handy & way less hardship to the environment.

I used a little oil in a hot pan & cooked the tortillas about the size of a measuring cup. After cooking I put them on a tin-foil lined pan in the oven to keep warm while the rest were cooking. The salad was even easier than this. Chopped up onion, tomato, garlic, green & red peppers.. and any other veggies you can add in. I was thinking next time I will add some fresh corn off the cob & peas. One son is a huge fan of Italian dressing so this is another option for him. Was a really quick meal and they loved it!

I know I enjoyed the dinner. It's something you wanna make fresh each time. Something that doesn't take too long either in order to do this. Quick, simple & fresh fare. My favourite!

Bon Appetit! XOXO Heather :)
Post a Comment

Blog Archive

link referral

Vegan, musings on life, kids, cars, vegan food, art, photography, crafts, etsy dot com, etc.
© COPYRIGHT NOTE: My designs, photos and description text are protected by copyright. They may not be duplicated, copied, reproduced and/or republished without permission or notice. All rights are reserved. All Rights reserved either implied or expressed by 3 a.m. Art/aktie9.