Monday, April 25, 2011

Making Vegan Yarn

Whatcha Doin?

To answer the age old question of "Whatcha doing?" This is the answer. I'm making my own vegan yarn. It was dyed by Spinup, but I'm doing the spinning with my new to me drop spindle. Oh so fun! Well, I do have a thing for monotony. IE: Married to the same man for 15 years, making each special moment with him, special, different & exciting.

Anyways, before I go too far off the clickety clack track, it's a very simple process spinning the fibers into yarn. Not that hard at all. It's really fun! Check out this video, she's doing it with wool, but it's essentially the same thing.



The only reason I don't use wool yarn, is cause there is so much 'I don't know' about it. I don't know how the animals are treated & or if it comes from New Zealand where they do mulesing. If you have a weak stomach, don't google mulesing. Just take my word for it, you'd not wish it on your worst enemy, let alone a gentle lamb. Anyways, this is not meant to be a political speech. If you want that, hit up my vegan blog.


Let's look at the banana wool again instead:

100_7536

Here it is on the drop spindle. This was fibers, I could use it for felting or needle felting, but I'm fooling around with it & making it into yarn.

100_7533

Oh & again with this image. Ohhh just look at all that colour!!!!!!

100_7535

It's so pretty! So lovely, I could eat it with a spoon. ;) Well, no not really. I just say that to my sons all the time, when they are being cuddly or cuteh. I call it a Heatherism. I can't wait till the yarn is spun, then I can begin thinking of what to make it into. I'd like to go small with this selection of yarns & make some small, fun pins & maybe necklaces, cause I think this will give me the most pleasure, making small things & passing them to friends & family, so they can get some enjoyment too.

Lovely lovely lovely.. Oh & yeah, I'll be buying some more soon. So you'd better get to her shop & quickly if you know what's good for ya!!

Thanks for stopping by! XOXO Heather :)
Post a Comment

networked blogs

link referral

Vegan, musings on life, kids, cars, vegan food, art, photography, crafts, etsy dot com, etc.
© COPYRIGHT NOTE: My designs, photos and description text are protected by copyright. They may not be duplicated, copied, reproduced and/or republished without permission or notice. All rights are reserved. All Rights reserved either implied or expressed by 3 a.m. Art/aktie9.